

**April 5, 2017**  
**ENTIAT WATERSHED PLANNING UNIT MEETING MINUTES**  
**Entiat Grange Hall, Entiat, WA**  
**9:00 a.m.**

<b>Meeting Attendance:</b>	See Attendance List ( <b>Attachment #1</b> )
	See detailed Agenda ( <b>Attachment #2</b> )
<b>Facilitator / Watershed Coordinator:</b>	Jason Sims
<b>Notes:</b>	Nada Wentz

**Welcome / Introductions**

Meeting began at 9:05 a.m.

Jason welcomed those in attendance and began the meeting with a round of introductions.

- **Approve January 2017 EWPU Meeting Minutes**

Jason asked if there were edits to make to the January 2017 Minutes. No comments or edits were requested and the minutes were finalized. There were no additions to the April 2017 agenda.

The next meeting date falls on July 5<sup>th</sup>, right after Independence Day. It may be difficult for folks to attend the meeting right after a holiday, so Jason asked if there would be scheduling problems by bumping the meeting to the next week, July 12<sup>th</sup>. There were no objections and the July 12<sup>th</sup> meeting date was set.

**Entiat Landowner Steering Committee**

- **UW Presentation of Survey Results**

*(Attachment 3: UW Survey Results Presentation - by Trevor Robinson)*

Jason introduced Trevor Robinson, a University of Washington grad student. Trevor interviewed folks and agencies involved with the Entiat Watershed Planning Unit (EWPU) and the watershed plan development. Trevor thanked Jason for his time and assistance, and he thanked the folks that took time to interview with him.

Trevor: I am working towards degrees for a Master of Science and a Master of Public Administration. Four watersheds in Washington State were researched for data collection and analysis. The four watersheds are: WRIA 1, Nooksack; WRIA 2, San Juan; WRIA 46, Entiat; and WRIA 54-57, Spokane River.

There were 15 interview questions allowing open ended responses. The interview time was between 40 minutes to 2 hours long. Interviews were recorded with the permission of the interviewees. The data collection software used to help analyze the information is the NVivo Pro 11 program. Landowners and key agency people were interviewed.

*Trevor presented his Preliminary Analysis power point slides, sharing how the NVivo Pro 11 analyzes the data about the Entiat Watershed information collected.*

Trevor: All four watersheds tend to have the same goals and concerns, such as funding, meeting attendance, communication and connection between players in the implementation process, public outreach to folks that are unfamiliar with the implementation efforts, meeting logistics, and notification of project work dates.

Jason S: The Planning Unit members have identified the things you brought up in your presentation. It is good to know that we are not alone in our concerns and there is room to improve.

Steve Kolk: Did you interview anyone outside the group that are not well informed about our projects? It sounds like you had consistent answers from within the group. It would be good to hear the opinion of people that are unfamiliar with the projects.

Trevor: That is a good question. I didn't talk to folks outside the groups.

Jason S: We have meeting notifications in the newspapers, on Facebook and on our website. Mailings of the Entiat Annual Report should have been received and is an additional way to inform the public of the projects going in the river.

Steve K: The pyramid study of how we think we are projecting and how other people perceive it is important.

Melody Kreimes: How many landowners are on the list?

Keith Vradenburg: There were about 300 when we started the watershed plan, but that number has dropped off.

Tom Desgroseillier: Thank you for coming out to do your presentation. As you were interacting with other watershed folks, did you pick up on what they do differently to get people engaged?

Trevor: Other groups have similar outreach efforts with minutes and websites. Breaking down the information to bite size pieces will help folks better understand what is going on.

Tom D: With the plan, did you find that other watersheds were addressing the same plan issues?

Trevor: These plans are being used as reference guides for different levels of decision making. There are more ways to make the plan accessible. A lot of the plans are over ten years old. How do you balance the Entiat plan with other plans?

Tom D: Was the information today primarily from the Entiat, or a mix of all the watersheds?

Trevor: There is a lot more going on in the Entiat watershed when compared to other watersheds by size. Funding shortages are items of concern. I've heard that the Department of Ecology (DOE) funding has dropped off and is hitting the watersheds hard, but the Entiat has been affected more. The funding from Bonneville Environmental Foundation (BEF), Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) and DOE have helped improve the longevity of this plan. Feel free to contact me.

Jason S: Thank you for coming and presenting your survey results.

- **Voluntary Stewardship Program (VSP)**  
(Attachment 4: VSP Update Presentation)

Jason S: Mike Kaputa and Mike Cushman couldn't attend today due to other meetings that needed their attention. The VSP draft plan was submitted to the Conservation Commission last month. It is currently in the review process. The plan should be ready to present at the July meeting.

One of the big questions is how best to answer the landowners questions. Should we answer them by phone or is it better to meet with the landowner? Mike Kaputa and Mike Cushman would like your opinions and asked me to pass your information and questions on to them. I have their contact information if you wish to talk with them personally. There are copies of the Stewardship Checklist here if you would like to have one.

- **Reference Reach**

Jason S: Cascadia Conservation District is currently working with Chelan County to compile a summary of the EWPU plan that gives folks a condensed version of the plan. The goals of the document are to have an easily digestible document to read and talk about, information for the community about past and present projects, and to potentially recruit new members. It would also showcase the successes and be a potential VSP component. A consultant is working with the layout and I am working with the consultant for the feedback.

*Decision Point 1: Does the Planning Unit think this is a good plan? Do you want to move forward?*

Tom D: It sounds like you have a lot of directions to go with this plan.

Jason S: We may have the Steering Committee help focus the direction of the document. We can go from there.

*Decision Point 1 - Approved: Jason: I hear some tentative yes's, so we will keep moving forward.*

Melody K: I came here to learn about the Planning Unit. What is it you want to get with the landowners?

Jason S: We are looking for new landowners to participate and shape the direction of the EWPU plan. Where will the needs be down the road? The plan has a lot of good information, but it is a lot to digest. We would like some interest and new perspective from new people.

Melody K: Is there a lack of interest?

Jason S: The support has been there. Public meetings were held to get their perspective and permission to access the river for monitoring purposes. These have been well supported.

Keith V: At the beginning of the watershed planning process, there were a lot of landowners attending and interested. The community has changed since then, and this community is a little different. When they are upset about something, they will show up for the meetings. If they are

happy with events, they are quiet. I think they support the Planning Unit. It would be good to go through the review process to get new perspective.

James Simino: Fire closures will get a larger attendance too.

Jason S: I will try to get a draft to you.

James S: What kind of evaluations, or sub evaluations do you get? Maybe that would be a good litmus test.

Jason S: That is a good idea to test and evaluate. I've been more motivated to get to the next step. Maybe we can accomplish this with an online survey.

James S: When I was in Oregon, we were required to evaluate every two to three years.

Jason S: I'll look at different ways to do that and discuss it at the July meeting. This item can follow the VSP update.

### **Habitat:**

- **Middle Entiat Project Development**

Jason S: A meeting with the Department of Fish & Wildlife (DFW), US Fish & Wildlife (USFW), Cascadia Conservation District and Bob Whitehall was held to discuss the Reference Reach. The discussion included fishing in the Entiat, the gene pool process, and the impact of the gene pool on the economy of the community. Some of the misunderstandings regarding the reference reach were cleared up at this meeting. The DFW report is in the review process.

Bob Whitehall: The Upper Columbia Advisory group meets quarterly. The whole thing on the reference reach is confusing. We still have some of the things that hold us back from fishing because of the way the stream is right now. We talked about coming up with a plan to collect hatchery fish as they come up the river, and do something to prevent the ice problems at the hatchery intake. For us to improve our situation in the Entiat, we need a way to take those hatchery fish out of the river.

Tom D: You're talking about the steelhead?

Bob W: Yes.

Tom D: One of the things I realized is that it isn't just this group that was misinformed. It was everyone. The clarity that we got is that there is no fishing in the reference reach period. If we were to ever have a steelhead hatchery, we'd have to change a lot of things with the hatchery. My sense is that is not a regulatory event.

Bob W: You can get a different answer from everyone that goes. A group of people changes, and you come out with a different ideas and answers. If we ever have a steelhead hatchery, we need to carefully document the program and what it would take to get there.

Jason S: We discussed various ways that we could share information and update folks, since Cascadia has so many different outreach forums, especially in the Entiat. I also developed a draft list of the discussion topics and once it is reviewed by WDFW I would be glad to share it with the group.

Bob W: Jon Small has a good pond, to further develop the steelhead fishing. What came out of the meeting is the funds for fishing are coming out of the Stamp Program. No one understands how the funding system works. If the funding doesn't go through, there will be no fishing in the Upper Columbia within two years. Right now the Stamp Program funding is in jeopardy.

Jason S: Is there anything that this group can do to help?

Bob W: Tell the representatives that we need that funding.

Doug England: Can a letter from the Planning Unit be generated?

Jason S: Yes.

Keith V: I've sent letters to three of our representatives and not had a reply yet.

Bob W: If the salmon fishing closes, they will hear from a lot of fishermen. This is one way to encourage the need to get the hatchery stock out of the river.

Jason S: Do you want a draft letter to review?

Doug E: Timing is an issue.

Jason S: I'll send it in for the Planning Unit.

Keith V: I talked with Mike Steele. He said he hasn't heard much about it. A letter from the group would be good.

Jason S: Do we all stand behind the letter being sent from the Planning Unit?

Group: Yes!

Jason S: Ok, I'll draft a letter.

- **Middle Entiat Project Update**

Jason S: Middle Entiat projects are moving forward. The funding has changed, but the project designs have stayed the same. There is still a lot of work to be done. Staging is planned for next summer and implementation in 2019-2020. Project meetings are on the horizon, with a larger notification campaign through the Entiat Leader and direct mailing. The goal is implementation. The Yakama Nation is working directly with the Forest Service on their projects.

Chris Clemons: Implementation will be in 2019. We are working with the Forest Service and the Land Trust. There are some side channel projects as well.

Jason S: We are building momentum and will engage the Planning Unit as things progress. I was on a tour of some of the sites yesterday. Bank erosion and plans to remedy that are needed.

Melody K: How does the funding look? I've heard some sponsor is looking for funding.

Steve Kolk: The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) can't allocate funding for several years ahead of time, but I feel comfortable with a conservative estimate of a million and a half per year now through 2020. Sponsors wanted to put in a placeholder last week. As a result, Cascade Columbia is looking for funding for the Stormy Preserve this year.

Jason S: With the funding uncertainty, we are looking at what we can get done as we go.

Steve K: The goal is to get as much done as we can by 2020. I'm not sure direction-wise what else can be done past that time.

- **Other Entiat Projects in 2017**

Chris C: The projects we presented at the January meeting are still moving forward. The work window is July 16 through 31. We did get an objection for the projects which adds about 60 days to the waiting process for the projects at the 3D sites. We still have the same work schedule and the two week work window.

Jason S: We can coordinate for mailers to keep everyone informed.

Chris C: Project material is already staged at the sites.

James S: We are working with Yakama Nation at Tillicum Creek and Mad River. There will be some road closures occurring at Tillicum this summer. The next projects are at Roaring Creek, Mad River, and Mills Creek and we are working on those proposals today.

- **Roundtable Updates**

Keith V: I wrote to Representative Reichert. If he is available, he will stop by and tour the Ardenvoir.

Chris C: There is a push to get them to come over to tour some of our project sites too.

Doug E: Representative Reichert is coming sometime in May.

Melody K: May 12 is the time frame.

James White: Thank you for inviting us to the meeting.

Melody K: The Salmon Recovery Conference is coming. Let us know by the end of the week. Our Board meetings are May 25 and June 22. We may have an integrated recovery and hatchery report then. We want to engage the partners.

Keith V: Terraqua still plans to conduct monitoring in the river in June and July. They are waiting for parts of it to thaw out. They are still working with BPA for a funding contract, pushing hard to get an analysis for their monitoring efforts and planning a presentation at the Salmon Recovery Funding Board (SRFB) meeting. I will be bringing that information to the next meeting.

James S: I meet with the County Emergency Management next week. There are some proposals for road closure changes. I will have that information available next week.

### **Meeting Close-out, Evaluation and Adjournment**

Jason S: The next Planning Unit meeting is on July 12, 2017, at the Entiat Grange Hall. Please fill out an evaluation of the meeting before you leave.

Thank you and see you in July.

The meeting adjourned at 10:47 a.m.

### **List of Attachments**

<b><u>Attachment</u></b>	<b><u>Contents</u></b>
1	Attendance List
2	April 2017 Agenda
3	UW Survey Results Presentation
4	VSP Update Presentation