

January 8, 2014
ENTIAT WATERSHED PLANNING UNIT MEETING MINUTES
Entiat Grange Hall, Entiat, WA

Meeting Attendance:	See Attendance List (Attachment #1)
	See detailed Agenda (Attachment #2)
Facilitator / Watershed Coordinator:	Mike Rickel
Notes:	Nada Wentz

Welcome / Introductions

Meeting began at 9:10 a.m.

Mike Rickel welcomed those in attendance and started the round of introductions. He called for new business items; the January 2014 agenda was reviewed and accepted. The Voluntary Stewardship Program (VSP) is an alternative program for growth management of agriculture and critical areas. Mike Kaputa will help with this portion of the agenda and discuss where the agriculture and critical areas overlap so that agenda item will be adjusted to when Mike is here.

- **Approve October 2013 EWPU Meeting Minutes**

Mike Rickel: The January 2014 meeting notice and agenda were emailed out the middle of December, with a link to the October 2013 minutes, and posted on the Cascadia web site for review. Does anyone have any comments or edits for the October 2013 meeting minutes? Hearing none, the October 2013 meeting minutes are finalized.

Water Resources

- **Status of Board of Joint Control for Entiat**

Mike R: I exchanged emails with Karin Whitehall regarding information on the Board of Joint Control efforts for the Entiat in order to see if it was an appropriate agenda topic.

Karin Whitehall: The Department of Ecology (DOE) hosted a water right meeting in October. There was a long discussion about the board of joint control. I came away from the meeting that DOE is supportive of water right transfers. I don't know how many transfers that have been applied for, but Cascadia Conservation District has a few that they have helped get through.

David Holland: I've seen some transfers go through the system, like Hanan-Detwiler and Knapp-Wham. We are pretty close to finishing Hanan-Detwiler change of diversion. There are about three that should be finished soon.

Karin W: I thought there were about 70 changes at the DOE office, and Cascadia was taking care of about 20 of them.

David H: I don't think there are that many. We have a good start. There are 20 in the hopper that should be cranked out soon. The DOE website is having some issues, so it is hard to check on transfer processing online.

Karin W: I can't get online to check on the progress. The Conservancy Board had three applications in. One of which is at the Fish Hatchery. It seems there is some support from DOE to have a Joint Board of Control.

Mike R: What can the Conservation District do to help?

Karin W: The vision was to have the county involved. I personally think the county would be a good fit.

Mike R: Is the county involved with the other Joint Control Boards?

Karin W: The County commissioners approved the Joint Board of Control, but did not get involved due to the Town Toyota Center troubles that were going on at the time.

Mike R: That was my recollection. They wanted more information before getting involved.

Karin W: Commissioner England was concerned that joining would make the county more suspect.

Mike R: Will a request be made to the county?

Karin W: David (Holland), are you part of the deciding factor regarding acceptance of a Board of Joint Control and how that Board should be conducted?

David H: I am involved to an extent, but Mike Kaputa is more involved with the process.

Jon Small: One of the questions we had is whether a county wide board or an Entiat board is better. I haven't heard any more information about that.

Karin W: It has been difficult to contact Mark Peterson to coordinate group meetings and ask these questions.

Mike R: We will continue to track this and inform the EWPU as things work out. Mike (K), can you share any news on the joint board of control process?

Karin W: Mark Peterson talked about the joint board of control including Chelan County, and had another idea that only included the city. It would be good to have Malaga involved as they send out the bills.

Mike Kaputa: Originally, the Board of Joint Control was Malaga, Stemilt and lower Stemilt district. There aren't any joint control boards that are county-wide. We had legal questions about what the county's authority is, and what would be the implications of becoming a member? We're comfortable affording the authority to Stemilt. I think we would be supportive of the Entiat, specific to the Entiat, and it would be an easier conversation to have. I don't remember where we left the conversation with Mark Peterschmidt

Karin W: That is about where we left it. We haven't moved forward yet. I'm curious; could you give a short update on the progress of the Wenatchee watershed water right transfers?

Mike K: We are not setting up a Board of Joint Control. The reserve in the Wenatchee watershed is 4 cfs. We have a list of 120 to 130 people in line to make transfers. Letters were sent to them to find out if they were still interested in transferring rights. Out of all the letters sent out, we now have a list of about 55 folks with viable transfer applications. These folks are committed to move forward and would be eligible to get in on the cost share program for water right transfers. If a Board of Joint Control were to be set up, one between Cashmere, Leavenworth and Monitor would be the way to go giving more local control and authority to make decisions.

Mike R: The collective group would hold the water right?

Mike K: The county and cities have to show population, and work through the regulations. We want to have more local authority to make decisions for water uses.

Mike R: I'm anticipating picking up additional folks using the water reserve.

Mike K: Water rights would issue building permits for water rights users.

Mike R: Cascadia Conservation District does that for the Entiat.

Mike K: There is no identified water right in the Entiat about the exempt wells.

Mike R: At the current rate of development, the reserve will last beyond the planned amount used. Thank you for the update.

Mike K: We've had this discussion up to this point for the Entiat. Should we identify some next steps?

Mike R: I think they are interested in moving forward. I'm happy to help and make that happen.

Mike K: There are other questions that need to be asked, besides the county being on the Board of Joint Control. The county being a member helps expand the geography beyond

existing irrigation district boundaries, which would include exempt wells. I don't know if that meets the needs of the irrigation districts.

Mike R: What do you see as the next steps?

Mike K: We continue to have the discussion and see where it goes.

Karin W: I need to understand if the Entiat water rights are slowly moving to the city.

Don Olin: Yes.

Karin W: Will the irrigation district go away?

Don O: Yes.

Karin W: If the irrigation transfers all the rights to the city, the district goes away?

Don O: If the transfer goes through, they will have a board to make the decisions.

Mike K: Maybe the way to proceed is to have a follow-up meeting with the Landowner Steering Committee, and invite Mark Peterson to answer more questions on how to proceed. The Board of Joint Control doesn't assist with the existing water control. The Water Conservancy Board has jurisdiction throughout the county.

Jon S: We wanted to have Mark or his associate come. We need to know about the boundaries that are included. We need that alternative information to be available before the next discussion.

Mike R: Is that something you will do Karin?

Karin W: I will call Mark and get that information, and get information from Russ to give to Mark.

Mike K: I'm happy to help. We are in support of helping this move forward.

Mike R: Whatever involvement you want Cascadia Conservation District to have, let me know.

Mike K: We did have a legal difference of opinion with Mark last year. Because of the Toyota Center issue, we are a little concerned about becoming a member. Having the county as a member of the Board of Joint Control was a bit of an issue for authority. We declined to be a member of that.

Entiat Landowner Steering Committee Update

- **Installation of AgriMet site in Entiat Basin**

(Attachment 3: BOR – AgriMet PowerPoint Presentation)

Jama Hamel: Currently I'm holding two positions, a hydro geologist and a coordinator for AgriMet stations. AgriMet is a combination of agriculture and meteorology and it is an agricultural weather information system developed to promote water and energy conservation. It is privately funded. Funding is available to install weather stations as long as there is financial support for yearly maintenance of the stations.

Mike R: What is the cost of yearly maintenance support?

Jama H: Installation is about \$10,000 and annual maintenance is about \$3500. The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) equivalent is three hours of work. Entiat has a weather station installed. It is a weighing station that requires the bucket to be dumped one or two times a year. There are other types of weather stations that do not use the weight method.

A newer method checks weather stations with a cell phone. A cell phone app is available to help with crop irrigation planning. This new method helps to save irrigation by 15% to 25%.

David H: Is it the intent to find out how much water to use on my crop tomorrow?

Jama H: Yes. It helps growers know whether to add or reduce watering cycles on a more frequent schedule. One person in Boise started using the AgriMet system and he was able to save water, save power and had an increase in his crop production.

(Referring to the PowerPoint slide:) This is a total for a two week time period. It will tell you how long to irrigate. It is a Washington State University (WSU) irrigation table. To get to this information, use Google – type in the word “AgriMet” website which will give you the website address.

There is a simpler method called the checkbook method. The cell phone app will be faster and easier. Water treatment plants also use the AgriMet website to know when to apply treated water to non-food crops. A person can even use their sprinkler system and tie it in to the weather station so lawns are only watered when needed. The cost of the sprinklers (Rainbird) and smart controllers is about \$500.

Mike R: How can we get to the website?

Jama H: I don't have brochures to hand out yet, but I can send them out when they arrive at my office. Currently, we have a 50 minute data check which is updated every hour, but may change it to 15 minutes. Google “AgriMet.”

Jon S: How do you use the data?

Jama H: Go to the map, and click on the red dot on the map. I'm trying to push the data more to the grower level. The whole method has a 10% to 15% margin of error.

Mike R: You mentioned that this is by geographic areas?

Jama H: One weather station recorded 30 degrees, went up to 50 degrees for a couple of readings, and then went back down to 30. I called to see if an outside source was causing the large difference in the readings – like a dryer vent blowing on the sensor – but that wasn't the case. The temperature really went up to 50 and back down to 30.

- **Voluntary Stewardship Program (VSP)**

Mike K: We talked about this at the previous meeting. The overview of that discussion is: over the years, under the Growth Management Act, we have seen government lawsuits on how government is not doing enough to protect critical areas. As a result of that, there was a hold on updating critical area land uses under growth management. The Ruckelshaus process came about to stop some of the lawsuits and find an approach forward. Regulations are not triggered by agriculture use. Legislature adopted the VSP to encourage stewardship plans to address some of the critical area regulations. Two counties were selected to be pilot areas for the program, Thurston and Chelan. There was a meeting between the State Farm Agency, Jon Small, the State Advisory and State Technical Board. There still seems to be some confusion of what the program is about.

Mike R: Isn't it protection of agricultural land within critical areas?

Mike K: The State Farm Agency has one definition, and the other agency has a different definition. We expect to work with some of the staff to answer these questions and work out the differences.

Derek Van Marter: Is your funding just for this biennium?

Mike K: Yes. We only have six months left. I don't think we need all the money for this year. Have you heard any additional information? I was glad to be a part of the discussion between Commissioner England, Jon and see the questions were the same as Ruckelshaus was struggling with. There will be meetings, organizational meetings, map out a scope of work and move forward.

Jon S: I understood we could use NRCS programs, enhancement and maintenance of habitat. That seems to be a positive thing.

Derek VM: Wasn't there a clock that started when the county decided to do this?

Mike K: Yes, a three year period.

Mike R: Dependent on funding allocated for the program.

Mike K: The Best Available Science practices do not agree with the NRCS Best Management Practices (BMP). The court says that you can't use the NRCS BMP's, that their programs aren't enough to meet the Best Scientific practices.

I'll send folks the two page letter about Best Available Science and what the court said about it. NRCS BMP's were set up for agriculture, not critical areas.

Mike R: Please share that letter and I'll send it out to the group.

Mike K: The County hasn't signed anything yet. We will probably reconvene in a couple of weeks and identify the next steps.

Mike R: The plan encompasses the entire county?

Mike K: I don't know if we definitively made that distinction. We had considered that there are watershed planning units in each area. We would like for the entire Chelan County agriculture community to be a part of this plan. When you start developing benchmarks the indicators will be different for each area. Entiat will be different than Chelan or Stemilt.

Mike R: I'm/we're interested in having a plan to include the entire county.

Mike K: The language says significant area, meaning county.

Mike R: I will keep the landowners in the Entiat engaged.

Mike K: I think this is a great opportunity, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Habitat

- **Fishing Issues and Fisheries Roundtable**

Mike R: I was hoping Bob Whitehall would be able to attend the meeting today, but understand that he is tied up with work at the new river front park. It is great to see the trail roughed in. Bob continues to work with state and federal agencies towards a fishing season in the Entiat.

Mike K: Is there something we can do to help Bob with this? I've been trying to find a video we had a few years ago. There is still some concern.

Jon S: Could you include Bob's information in the minutes?

Mike R: I'll meet with Bob, see what his current efforts and next steps are, and in those next steps include ways we can help.

Mike K: If folks are concerned, maybe the only leverage they have is if it is private land or habitat. This indicates a somewhat desperate situation.

Derek VM: I've had the same conversations with Bob. We had some good exchanges with others. What is the State doing about the NOAA regulations? Maybe the Fisheries Round Table needs to get together and discuss this again. The State regulations have

changed. If fishing is not going to happen, we need to get that out on the table for discussion.

Jama H: The Entiat Fish Hatchery has a steelhead run?

Derek VM: No, they are not permitted to do that.

Derek VM: It is a good idea to reconvene the fisheries roundtable. There is a new permit out that landowners need to know about.

Graham Simon: Mike R, if you send me an email, I'll try to talk with (Russ?) to get a meeting going.

Mike R: I will commit to talk with Bob and get that information to the group.

Jon S: We are not getting any information about when steelhead can be in the river again.

Karin W: I request that we have the new permit on the agenda for April.

- **2014 Project Planning Update**
(Attachment 4: 2014 Project Site Map)

Mike Cushman: Are there questions about the 2014 project sites and specifics from the group? Permit applications are in the preparation phase and will be ready to send out soon. The Cultural Resources work has been completed and the report for the Cultural Resources work will be completed in February. All the pieces are in motion and underway. The golden window of opportunity for construction is July 16 – 31. We hope to extend the time into September and the low flow season. The bull trout will be in the colder waters but the concern is with the summer chinook spawning in the lower 7 miles. Maybe there is more feedback for in-water work that can be discussed.

Jon and Karin, are there specific questions or concerns either of you have? Would you like to see where the project areas are located?

Mike K: What kind of outreach is in the works for public involvement with these plans?

Mike C: That will be discussed more at the next meeting. The step we are at right now is talking with landowners for permits and getting signatures in place. The next step is a public meeting.

Graham S: I think Matt was planning a public meeting.

Mike R: We have been waiting for landowner agreements and permits to be submitted before we announce meeting plans to the community. Maybe later this winter or early in

the spring would be a good time for the next meeting. We are waiting for direction from the landowners as to the best time for them to have a public meeting.

Mike C: I can talk about the areas we are planning to work on. We were focusing on the base flow and the low flow, to get some habitat areas in the lower Entiat River for juveniles to hang out. We would like to get some conditions more conducive to steelhead. Tom Desgroseillier is finding a lot of juveniles in these areas. We want to strike a balance with what is needed and what landowners would like to see. Some of the topics for discussion are: boulder clusters at high flow, stabilizing road structures, and proposed actions to make the process run smoothly are some of the topics for discussion.

Jon S: Do you have a summary of the projects?

Mike C: I struggled because it is such a large area. From the KIOSK to RM 2.3 is the first project Cascadia is co-sponsoring. Some of these are existing areas that we hope to improve.

Mike R: We don't have a single map that shows all the projects going on. We will get that ready for folks to see at the public meeting.

Mike C: We will maintain mature tree structures by only accessing the river at existing openings and use existing infrastructures to access the project areas. The control area is just below the old Roaring Creek Bridge.

Steve Kolk: There will be areas to provide more habitat downstream.

Mike K: Phil Harrison has agreed to remove orchard trees so our project is a significant project.

Pamela Nelle: For the control area, the fact that there were projects there before is not a huge concern.

Mike C: At RM 7, the last project is at the Hatchery grounds with a split flow channel. Right now there is 300 cfs. A hydraulic structure is planned to increase the flow. The goal is to protect the island, provide some habitat structures off of the bank, and add an alcove for an off channel.

Jason Sims: Chris from the Yakama Nations said he was willing to do some maintenance on their project. I haven't heard anything official from him yet.

Pamela N: The high water refugia are an important habitat type for early summer juveniles in the lower Entiat.

Mike C: There was difficulty determining how to help in our project.

Steve K: The reason for larger projects is to help the channel bed. We are trying to replicate things that will help.

Pamela N: This work can attract macro invertebrates to attract juveniles, and then it is all flushed out with the first high flow. It doesn't help.

Jon S: There is one on the Milne property, if the PUD ever connects the wells.

Graham S: Where has the well irrigation thing gone? When that happens, will the well be decommissioned?

Mike C: The last conversation with Gary, they were internally talking about what to do. The wells haven't panned out.

Mike R: Thank you for your presentation. We will create a map for the community meeting. We wanted to share the monitoring on the 2012 large woody projects. When would be an appropriate time to have a community meeting?

Don O: Maybe in April or May.

Mike C: Each project sponsor would talk about their specific project.

Jon S: We could have a large map for reference, and then each sponsor talk about their project. The first part of May would be a good time.

Mike R: Mike K, will you take that information back to Jennifer? And we will coordinate sponsors to get the meeting organized.

- **DNR Permitting Issue**

Mike R: A new wrinkle that has come up is the DNR permit for instream projects. Landowners have been made aware of the permit.

Jon S: What is the implication of who owns the land underneath the river? If they just want money for the permit, that doesn't affect the landowner. It doesn't make much difference to the landowner.

Derek VM: DNR has made a claim on land ownership on state owned lands and aquatic regulations. The way they can base their authority is when the state of Washington became a state – and what was mapped at that date. The plus side is liability for the state owned aquatic lands is that the agency takes on the responsibility of maintenance and management. The sponsor is responsible for 3 to 5 years, and then it transfers to the other.

Mike K: The middle of the river. Landowners would want to count the middle of the river for the density of the water. If the landowner says they own the middle of the river, we treat it as that. We prefer the landowner's word over DNR's.

Mike R: It may not have an effect on landowners. They have a process where landowners can deny or provide proof that they don't have ownership. DNR made it clear that proof would be on the landowner.

Mike K: We encourage landowners to include that language in their documents.

Jason S: Entiat documents are not updated. I'm contacting landowners not to get the information. We are trying to get DNR to come and explain what their declaration means for the landowner.

Mike R: Jon's view is consistent with other landowners we've talked with.

David H: I'll email the information to Mike R and Mike K. The Husseman grants are now active. We got the money back and the Commission to process the applications. The current plan out of the Yakima office is, for the next two months, check to see if the application is good. If you have a viable project, talk to me. We've tried to keep it flexible. It could be used to compliment other projects. If you want information, I'm the point of contact.

Derek VM: Is there a formal notification of this?

David H: No, not yet. There are some specific things they can and cannot do. The maximum fund per project is \$50,000.

Meeting Close-out, Evaluation and Adjournment

Mike R: The next Planning Unit meeting will be on April 2, 2014, 9:00 a.m., at the Entiat Grange Hall. Please let me know if there are other items you would like to see on the agenda.

Keith V: The trail under the railroad bridge has three turnouts with signs planned.

Mike R: RTT shot the idea down, so I'm not hopeful.

Keith V: We need to develop Preston Marina for fueling purposes.

Mike R: Thank you for coming! See you on April 2.

The meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.

List of Attachments

Attachment

Contents

1	Attendance List
2	January 2014 Agenda
3	BOR – AgriMet PowerPoint
4	2014 Project Site Map