POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Stewardship Forester
DATE: June 15, 2021
Position Status: Full Time exempt
Wage: Starting at $4517 – $5224 per month, Depending on Qualifications and Experience
Closing Date: Open until filled. First round of applications will be reviewed after July 21, 2021
Cascadia Conservation District is seeking a highly motivated and skilled individual to join the District as a Stewardship Forester. This full-time position will primarily serve as a landowner assistance forester for landowners throughout Chelan County. This position will work with private landowners to develop forest stewardship plans, identify appropriate cost share programs and help them implement forest health and wildfire resilience projects. This position is focused on implementing our wildfire resilience and forest health program in coordination with Washington State Department of Natural Resources, the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, USFS and other key partners. Cascadia CD is located in Chelan County, Washington with physical office space located in the city of Wenatchee. This position has 5 years of secure grant funding through a USDA Regional Conservation Partners Program grant and relies on successful future grant applications to continue its funding. This position reports directly to Cascadia CD’s Executive Director.
Cascadia Conservation District’s mission is to encourage wise stewardship and conservation of all natural resources for current and future residents in Chelan County by:
- Being an active advocate for wise land use and water management decisions.
- Promoting a reasonable approach to environmental problems.
- Providing locally-led, voluntary, non-regulatory solutions to local environmental problems.
- Educating both adults and youth about natural resources stewardship.
- Monitoring and responding to future trends that affect the environment.
Cascadia CD consists of a small team of dedicated staff focused on providing technical assistance, cost share and building programs that serve our community and the natural resources in Chelan County. Cascadia CD is a non-regulatory political sub-division of Washington State and is governed by a 5-member volunteer Board of Supervisors.
A qualified candidate must have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree involving forestry or forestry related sciences and two years of professional level experience. An Associate’s Degree in forestry or forestry related science or technology or other closely related field may be substituted for a Bachelor’s Degree if the applicant has three years or more of applicable experience.
- Very strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with forest landowners
- Demonstrated the ability to handle multiple projects
- Capability of working with diverse individuals and small groups.
- Able to work in remote and rugged locations under a variety of weather conditions, traverse difficult upland and instream terrain, and carry field equipment necessary to complete required job tasks.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel are essential).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience with basic forest mensuration and biometric tools and techniques.
- Ability to develop and manage contracts between agencies, landowners, partners and forestry contractors.
A well-qualified candidate will have some or all of the following qualifications:
- NRCS conservation planner certification
- Competency with GIS software
- Experience working with conservation districts, NRCS and WA DNR
- Experience with community groups on collaborative forest management, forest health collaboratives, Firewise USA Communities and Fire Adapted Community coalitions.
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish
- Wildland Firefighting experience
- Experience conducting wildfire home ignition zone assessments
- Timber sale layout, logging systems design and sale administration experience
- The ability to become a Certified Arborist
The Stewardship Forester will work with private landowners to develop and implement forest stewardship plans for wildfire resilience and forest health. They will field technical assistance requests, complete site inventories and resource concern checklists, write forest stewardship plans that recommend forest management actions, identify cost share opportunities and assist landowners through the process, and provide advice and guidance during implementation of forest management practices. This position will also provide support to partner organizations around forest stewardship issues, manage the District’s woodchipper program and work with communities on wildfire resilience and recovery projects,
Industrial Insurance State Retirement (PERS)
Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Holidays Medical & Dental Insurance
Optional Aflac policies
Job Description: For a full list of duties for this position, please see the job description posted at: https://cascadiacd.org/employment-opportunity_293.html
Submit cover letter and resume with at least three (3) references to Ryan Williams via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until filled. First round of applications will be reviewed after July 21, 2021.
Cascadia CD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.